Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Wakasan

When i was 6, my ate used to read to me daily dosage of comics, our pasalubong from our lola, who used to go to the palengke daily since we had then a mini sari-sari store. My ate would read aloud stories from Wakasan, Hiwaga, Funny. So I got to be acquanted with comics stories like Morgan, Zuma, Piyok, Ayaw Matulog ng gabi, Urbano, Planet of the Aypes, Supercat, etc. Some digression -- when I was six, i was still not being taught how to read, be it in Filipino or tagalog. But hey, my son, only six years old, can now read fairy tales (he read Mats by Frace Arcellana, and i'm happy for that!), and can now read ads flashed on tv, both english and filipino. I just realized how competitive the world has become. I wonder if these days, there's efficient time managemnt such that children at a young age are taught the rudiments of reading, or these children are wasting the opportunities of their being children -- i.e., playing endlessly in the form of babaran, lubig, taguan-pung, piko, syato, sumpak, lukong tinik, tumbrang preso, and all those games i played when i was young. This is a good debating point for child psychologists.
Back to the comics. The story that struck me most was a story in wakasan comics. After a quarter of a century, the story was still lucid in my mind. Nevermind those claiming to be critically acclaimed stories, i just don't know why this story stuck in my mind. I even don't know if the author's plot is original. Here goes the story.
A man got hold of a time machine. He thought of the places he may want to visit. He can go to the future and get hold of sweepstakes number comninations so that when he get back to the present, he can be rich. But he decided to go elsewhere -- he decided to go to the Jurrasic age where dinosaur roamed mightily. So he set his time machine and zoom, he was there standing beside the dinosaur. He could not believe in what he's seeing, so he went nearer to the dinosaur. As soon as that big fella noticed him, it swung its head and in an instant he was eaten.
I don't know the moral of the story then, I still don't know up to now. But just the same, the story has been residing in my brain for a very long time now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home