Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Servings

Said the Bride played by Uma Thurman in Kill Bill: Revenge is a dish best served cold. I got a taste of it yesterday. I attended an annual convention -- my first -- of one of the associations I belong with, in Makati yesterday. When I arrived at the convention place, I was handed out a brochure. Rummaging through it, I was was surprised to know that the convention would include election of new batch of officers. I read carefully the existing set of officers. Some I know ((ex)professors of UPSE and (ex)fellows of PIDS). But the current vice-chair struck me. He was my professor at UPSE in my masteral studies. How can I forget, when he almost flunk me, nothwithstanding that i got passing grades in his exam, even if his exams were essay-type, which means there's a lot of room for subjectivity. Flashback: I remember when i trudged to his office to ask why i got a grade i think i do not rightfully deserved. He said that i was wearing earings and mojo in class; that i sit everywhere (even if sitting arrangement was nonexistent in a university that prides itself of free from any repression whatsoever). I told him that my grade should principally reflect my performance in the class, which I did well, and he should not let his biases affect this. After all this is UP, and in his syllabus distributed in the early part of the semester, there was no mention of character -- or wearing earings or mojos -- as part of his grading system. He turned pale but he said he was standing with his decision. I know why i got his ire. He has a problem in pronouncing words and there where instances that when he mis-pronounced, he caught me grinning.

Back to reality: The professor was a candidate for this year's set of officers. The President of teh Society, in his speech, noted that the vice-chair usually succeds the president after his term expires. he even enjoined the participants to vote for the vice chair.

I went to the convention with a collegue, and she was not familiar with the candidates. I told him to vote for the candidates i know, except for that arrogant professor.

Then came the announcement of election results. The three i voted garnered enough votes to win. So did the professor. But this is the catch. An ex-prof of UP who now teaches at DLSU, and whom we voted, garnered 43 votes. The Professor got only 42 points, one vote shy. If the votes decide who will be the president, then the Professor clearly lost to an ex-UP Prof now at DLSU by just 1 point. So our 2 points (mine and my collegue's) were very crucial and would have changed the outcome of the election to the Professor's favor.

The tradition is broken! The vice-chair will not automatically succeds the President because he lost in the election.


I got my sweet revenge, after 10 years hehehhehehe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home